Affordable Housing in Lancaster County, SC: Government Assistance Programs Explained

Are you looking for an affordable home in Lancaster County, SC? If so, you may be eligible for government assistance programs that can help you find a suitable housing option. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers subsidized apartments and the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV), commonly known as Section 8.The Redevelopment Authority also provides state grant programs for community, commercial, industrial and residential development projects. Additionally, the Energy Assistance Program for Low-Income Homes (LIHEAP) and the Emergency Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP) provide direct assistance for heating and cooling. The Low-Income Weathering Program (WAP) also offers supplemental funding.

To be eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, applicants must meet the Public Housing Agency's (PHA) requirements for admission criteria in accordance with the Administrative Plan. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and must first complete a pre-eligibility survey to help staff administer the program. The Lancaster Housing Authority has established local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. If you are a prefabricated home owner, a separate program has been established to help prefabricated homeowners in leased land communities. If the Lancaster Housing Authority (HAL) determines that your family qualifies, HAL will contact you in writing, inform you of an informational meeting, and issue you a housing voucher. The main objective of these government assistance programs is to provide rental assistance to low-income, elderly and disabled families to obtain affordable, decent, safe and hygienic housing in the private rental market.

With a bond, the family is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of their choice if the landlord agrees to rent it under the program in the private rental market. If you are interested in applying for any of these government assistance programs, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you. You can also visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA) to request any type of help.

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required